- Senior Associate
- Real Estate
Kat advises in relation to a wide range of real estate transactions, specialising in renewable energy projects and development sites.
As a key member of the infrastructure and energy team, Kat regularly works with clients in the energy, transport, regeneration, waste and mines and minerals sectors. She advises on all stages of project development from site selection and securing land rights, to re-financing and project sales and acquisitions.
Kat has a sound understanding of the wider issues relevant to energy and infrastructure projects including complex reinstatement security arrangements, cable easements and connection issues, technicalities arising from land subject to agricultural tenancies, common land and land arrangements required in connection with obtaining Development Consent Orders.
Matters on which Kat has advised include:
- Port of Tilbury London Limited – providing real estate support in connection with their acquisition of Port expansion land and their successful DCO application – involving the relocation of common land and the exercise of CPO powers via General Vesting Declaration
- HS2 Contractor – providing real estate advice and securing lettings for an HS2 contractor, including advising on the land arrangements for a borrow pit
- Renewable energy developers
- advising on site selection and land documentation for battery storage projects
- negotiation of land documentation and title due diligence for small and utility scale solar projects
- drafting and negotiation of bespoke land agreements for hydropower plant developments in the north of England, including subsequent variations to permit associated battery storage
- corporate support on sales and acquisitions of renewables projects including portfolio holdings.
- Drax Power Limited – assisting on the land arrangements for the proposed ‘White Rose’ carbon capture and storage plant at the northern power station including drafting of FBT agreements
- Investor – acting on the acquisition of an active anaerobic digestion plant in Cumbria including settlement of leases for feedstock arrangements
- Portfolio Landowner – settlement of precedent documentation for solar developments across a number of landfill sites and associated title due diligence
- Public Sector – advising an NHS Trust in relation to a solar development constructed to supply power to a local hospital by private wire
- Utilities Provider – providing real estate support for the acquisition of a shovel ready biogas project, and subsequently acting in respect of the gas and electricity infrastructure and lagoons
- Quarrying/Waste Operator – preparation and completion of a bespoke quarrying and landfill lease with complex royalty payments
- Port of Tilbury London Limited, FCC Environment, Kier Group – acting on various property management matters for large estate holders including title work, refinancing, lettings and landlord and tenant issues and arrangements with statutory undertakers (including substations and telecoms leases)
Kat also has experience advising charities, public sector agencies and statutory bodies including the Department of Health, the Ministry of Defence, Highways England, the Coal Authority and The Charles S French Charitable Trust and understands the relevant statutory and governance requirements.