- Infrastructure & Energy / Real Estate
Judith is recommended in Band 1 of the Chambers and Legal 500 guides for real estate work in the Yorkshire region with 30 years’ experience in the real estate sector, specialising in real estate work for clients involved in the energy and renewables, infrastructure, transport marine and logistics, regeneration, waste and mines and minerals sectors. She co-leads the Infrastructure & Energy Group at Walker Morris.
Described by Chambers Guide as “thorough and focussed” and “making the work appear so refreshingly simple from the client’s side”, Judith enjoys making the land fit the deal and developing innovative project-based solutions.
Matters on which Judith has worked include;
- Major Energy Provider – roll out of a number of multi-site EV charger installation projects with a variety of retail and investor site owners and operators via a rapid charging network.
- Solar development- drafting of one of the first roof solar lease precedents for multi-site use and options for landowners and developers to let ground mounted solar projects subject to planning and grid connection.
- Port of Tilbury – letting of the largest construction materials and aggregates terminal in the UK at the new multi modal port Tilbury2 to Tarmac with road rail and sea access and construction of an aggregates conveyor capable of discharging at the rates of 4,000 tonne per hour; letting to Tilbury Green Power of a renewable biomass power plant at the Port of Tilbury generating 335 Gwh of renewable power per year.
- Gas operators – dealing with all land requirements for the largest gas storage project in the UK comprising 20 underground gas storage salt caverns and variation and settlement of leasing requirements for a multi-site landfill gas management project including revised generation termination and relocation requirements
- Port of Tilbury – installation of a 9MW behind the meter battery providing grid balancing and triad management services.
- FCC Environment – acting since 2008 on a variety of development and waste management projects including energy from waste projects and other forms of landfill regeneration.
- Waste operator – options for the drawdown of a lease subject to planning on permitting for the development of energy from waste developments.
- HS2 – acting for a landowner in relation to a major HS2 site intervention including a project to develop a new rail terminal and reception sidings with statutory and compensation issues and multiple land arrangements variations and lettings.
- Waystone Hargreaves Land – regeneration of the nationally recognised Unity Scheme in Doncaster including the regeneration of Hatfield Colliery.
- Mining Operator – disposal and management arrangements at two deep mines and a surface mine including pie crust transfer arrangements, contamination and stability issues, coal bed methane project arrangements, spoil transport and removal and pillars of support.
- Mining operator – acquisition of a leasehold tungsten mine with complex restructuring security and pre-emption requirements
- The Coal Authority – acting on a variety of land arrangements to support the Authority’s mine water treatment project.
In their words
"I feel privileged to work with clients in the energy and renewables sector – it is a challenging and fast moving sector at the cutting edge of many new technologies. I work closely with clients to understand all aspects of their projects and my wide and varied real estate experience allows me to mould land interests to work to a client's advantage and assist in achieving clients' goals. It is exciting to take land law concepts and adapt them to fit with clients' needs in this exciting sector."