Shabana Muneer (Employment) presented a live webinar on ‘Preparing for Brexit: Business Immigration’.
The webinar covered the forthcoming changes to the UK immigration system and how organisations should prepare, along with other issues including:
the impact of Brexit and the end of freedom of movement on the recruitment of EU nationals from January 2021 onwards
a brief overview of the UK’s current immigration system
what the new points based immigration system will look like, including changes existing sponsor licence holders need to be aware of
practical steps organisations can be taking now to make sure they are ready for the new regime:
– the importance of early sponsor licence applications where one is not already in place and training staff on sponsor obligations;
– workforce planning for January 2021 onwards
– ensuring right to work policies are up-to-date and compliant with the new regime
– plugging the skills gap – investment in technology and automation
– dealing with increased recruitment costs
impact of Covid-19 on migrant workers:
– automatic visa extensions
– changes to some application processes
– specific considerations for laying off / salary reductions / redundancy
– temporary right to work checks.
They also looked answered attendee questions in a Q&A session.