The Student Accommodation Team offers student accommodation developers, operators, investors, education institutions and lenders a comprehensive range of legal services in what has become recognised as an independent and discreet asset class. The Team comprises experts from our Real Estate, Construction, Planning, Banking, Regulatory, Employment, Commercial and Corporate departments, offering co-ordinated expertise with the resource available to offer a flexible and efficient service to our student accommodation clients.
The Team has advised the UK’s largest private provider of student accommodation for over ten years. During this time the private sector student accommodation market has grown substantially and the Team has built up a national reputation for providing co-ordinated, commercial and pragmatic advice to a client list which continues to grow year on year. The Team’s experience includes:
- advising developers in relation to the acquisition and development of over 20,000 student bedrooms
- advising in connection with the establishment of the UK’s first investment fund solely focussed on student accommodation assets, together with sales of over £300m of assets into the fund
- routinely advising operators and education institutions in relation to nomination, referral, marketing and management agreements
- advising lenders and funders in relation to debt financing and forward funded development schemes
- advising on public procurement of large schemes including via OJEC and OJEU competitive dialogue
The Team also offers a dedicated team of real estate litigators providing advice in relation to all aspects of student occupational arrangements, including enforcement and possession proceedings.
Drawing on the breadth of our experience and strength in depth, Walker Morris Student Accommodation Team has established itself as one of the leading advisers in the sector.