The Walker Morris pensions team provides consistent, high quality, down to earth, solutions-driven advice and is recognised as one of Yorkshire’s leading pensions law teams.
We make it our priority to understand the dynamics of our client’s business and needs. Client relationships are important to us. We are proud of our success in building long-lasting, effective relationships with clients. Our aim is to help you achieve your goals.
We have extensive experience in advising on all aspects of pensions law. If a matter becomes litigious we work seamlessly with our specialist pensions litigators. Our clients’ diverse needs means that we have specialist experience in advising on:
- Pensions Regulator interventions
- Outsourcing, including from the public sector
- Schemes for privatised industries including water, electricity, coal, nuclear decommissioning and rail
- Beckmann issues on TUPE transfers
- Cross-border pension schemes
- Executive arrangements
We advise trustees and employers in relation to pension arrangements of all types and sizes. Our largest scheme has liabilities of over £1bn while the smallest has liabilities of around £4m. Pension scheme employers and trustees are encouraged to act in partnership. If that is what you want, we will accept appointments to act for both employers and trustees as a “trusted adviser” where there are no conflicts of interest. Download our ‘Introduction to our Pensions Team’ here.
How we are distinctive:
- A service for you: we always look to provide you with the service you want. To do that we invest in spending time to understand your business and to build up a sustainable long-term relationship with you.
- Proactive and straightforward advice: we know that pensions law is complicated. Our focus is on delivering clear, pragmatic advice which is solutions-driven. Where there is not one answer, we will tell you and suggest a practical way forward to help you achieve your aims.
- Working to a budget: we understand that you are cost-conscious and want value for money. We are happy to agree to fixed or capped fees and consider other pricing structures.
Role of trustee as guardian of the scheme’s funding position significant when interpreti...
Project managing complex transactions
We have advised Capita on the pensions aspects of their acquisitions and disposals for over ten years. We not only undertake the actual acquisition but we take the extra step and assist them in their post-completion work including an modification to the Pensions Regulator as well as integration of employees into Capita and pension scheme mergers where Capita “inherits” a pension scheme on acquisition. We advise throughout the whole process from start to finish.
Supporting you as a trusted adviser
We believe in building long term sustainable relationships with our clients that are not restricted to providing legal advice; for example we provide assistance to a pension provider client in its graduate recruitment programme. This involves assisting the directors of the client in redesigning the application process, the assessment and interviews of applicants and subsequent training on pensions.
We believe that we should give our clients proactive advice to manage upfront potential legal issues rather than taking remedial steps to correct problems. This is why we see it as fundamental that we flag, in advance, legislative changes before they come into effect and how they will impact on clients.
We achieve the best results by:
- Each team member developing an understanding of your needs.
- Ensuring we deliver solutions-driven advice within agreed costs and timescales.
- Ensuring regular communication, both within our team and in our dealings with you to enhance
our working relationship.
"The Pensions Team work hard to find commercial solutions and their dedicated, tenacious approach ensures that deals are completed on time."