Preparing for Brexit: Business Immigration Webinar
Forthcoming changes to the UK immigration system – how should organisations prepare?
9 July 2020, 12.00 – 12.45pm (BST)
Despite some speculation that the Government might push back its proposed changes to the immigration system as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Government is currently still committed to ending free movement for EU nationals when the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December 2020. Some major changes are also being made to the points based sponsorship system that currently applies to non-EU nationals, which will be extended to nationals recruited from the EU from January 2021.
The government is also still proposing to introduce a new points based immigration system that will apply from 1 January 2021 to both EU nationals arriving to the UK from this date, and citizens from the rest of the world. This is likely to have a significant impact on the recruitment needs of many organisations that rely on EU workers. Importantly, the ability to recruit from the EU without engaging in the sponsorship process will come to an end from January 2021, and the Government is now actively encouraging employers who do not currently have a sponsor licence, but who may need to recruit from outside the UK in the future, to apply for one as soon as possible.
In order to remind employers that these changes are still in the pipeline, and help them prepare for what may be a significant shift in their current recruitment practices, the Walker Morris Business Immigration team is holding a free webinar on 9 July 2020 between 12.00 and 12.45, during which the following issues will be discussed:
- the impact of Brexit and the end of freedom of movement on the recruitment of EU nationals from January 2021 onwards
- a brief overview of the UK’s current immigration system
- what the new points based immigration system will look like, including changes existing sponsor licence holders need to be aware of
- practical steps organisations can be taking now to make sure they are ready for the new regime:
– the importance of early sponsor licence applications where one is not already in place and training staff on sponsor obligations;
– workforce planning for January 2021 onwards
– ensuring right to work policies are up-to-date and compliant with the new regime
– plugging the skills gap – investment in technology and automation
– dealing with increased recruitment costs
- impact of Covid-19 on migrant workers:
– automatic visa extensions
– changes to some application processes
– specific considerations for laying off / salary reductions / redundancy
– temporary right to work checks.
There will also be an opportunity to submit live questions during a Q&A session at the end of the webinar.
Please feel free to contact one of the members of the Business Immigration team below if you have any queries.
Visit our Business Immigration hub here.
If you have any queries regarding this webinar please email firstname.lastname@example.org