CPD top up
Missed our recent CPD top up day?
Our CPD top-up training day covered a wide range of subjects, as detailed below, with each presentation being given by our lawyers. The training day was oversubscribed and we had a number of requests to record the sessions. Each presentation runs for approximately 45 minutes.
To view either the videos of the presentations, or download the MP3 audio files, please complete the short form below:
Do the podcasts entitle me to claim CPD?
Yes. Watching an hour or more of these podcasts will entitle you to record your time as CPD. The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) has decided to implement a new approach to continuing competence for solicitors. The SRA have set a deadline of 1 November 2016 for the implementation of the new approach in respect of all solicitors whether in private practice or working in-house. You may however adopt the new approach from 1 April 2015. This leaves you with a decision to make as to how to ensure that you are complying with the SRA’s requirements until the 2016 deadline.
CPD top-up day – recorded 14 October 2015
1. Employment Update – Protecting your business interests
Our Employment Team will look at how employers can protect their business interests both during and after employment, including:
- What do employers need to protect?
- How can employers make best use of the tools available to them, such as implied and express terms, restrictions and policies?
2. Legal Risk in the 21st Century
- Cyber crime
- BYOD (Bring your own device)
- Privacy and Big Data
3. Our Tax Team will present two topics:
Taxation of Termination Payments
- A reminder of the current regime, and a discussion of the government’s consultation on reform.
Employee Shareholder (ES) Schemes
- tax benefits of ES schemes
- requirements to qualify
- employment rights given up
- process for putting a scheme in place
4. Overview of the Environmental Contamination Regime
Cameron Baloyi Rigby, Associate in our Real Estate Team will provide an overview of the environmental contamination regime, focusing on:
- A summary of the statutory regime
- Potential liability under common law
- What to if you receive a statutory enforcement notice
- How to deal with environmental issues in property transactions.
5. Commercial Contracts Update
- Identifying the type of loss (direct/indirect) and drafting exclusion clauses – lessons learnt from recent case law.
- Key themes from recent Commercial Court cases.