Financial Services Regulatory Lawyer
What sort of person we’re looking for
We’re looking for a technically proficient and ambitious regulatory lawyer who is used to dealing with big ticket consumer finance work, either in private practice or in-house. A detailed understanding of the FCA regime is absolutely essential, as well as sound legal analysis and drafting skills. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly expanding growing team in a niche practice area where someone with the confidence and ability to think ahead will have scope to carve out a reputation and develop as an expert lawyer in an exciting and sought after discipline.
What can we offer you?
You will join an established and rapidly-growing team handling consumer finance work for banks, building societies and a range of other lenders, brokers, debt administration and debt collection businesses.
It is truly a unique opportunity to join a vibrant team at a senior level in a specialist practice area where someone with the right mix of confidence, drive and ambition will have scope to carve out a reputation and capitalise on excellent opportunities for advancement.
Walker Morris is an independent law firm who are meritocratic and distinctive from the other Big 6 and other law firms. Exceptional candidates will command a commensurate salary plus benefits with significant opportunity for advancement. We offer agile working and are soon to move into pristine new offices in Leeds city centre.
The team is a great team, headed by Jeanette Burgess, with strong support and a freedom to develop and thrive.
Clients of our Regulatory team include major international businesses in all sectors and many household names. Examples of work include:
- Undertaking regulatory due diligence on a £235m financial services lending business acquisition
- advising on all legal matters for a US consumer lending client in relation to its business in the UK
- advising a US based international retailer in connection with a data protection breach in the context of electronic money regulation
- advising a £multi-billion company in relation to a wide range of matters involving its strategic arrangements for wealth and investment management and financial products and services
- providing general regulatory advice to a national UK stockbroker including in relation to a transfer of business, associate/franchise arrangements, FSA supervision visits, client disputes and market abuse
Where the applicant will fit in
The team currently consists of three partners, Jeanette Burgess, Andrew Northage and Stuart Ponting, plus one director and senior associates, trainees and paralegals. The team has broad-based expertise and provides contentious and non-contentious advice on a range of regulatory and compliance issues facing companies and directors, including financial services and consumer credit regulation, money laundering, fraud, data protection and health and safety.
Whoever fills this position will be fully involved in the Department’s caseload and clients. The role involves broad-based work and high calibre clients but you will also be working with the partners on marketing and business development activities. As you may be able to tell, our clients are extremely important to us, as is our team, so we are also looking for someone with good inter-personal skills who can be a great team member and can also focus on the clients’ needs.
3 years + PQE