The Walker Morris Sports Group (WMSG) is an award-winning UK sports law team, with top-tier status in the major legal directories. WMSG has acquired its top-tier status through:
- providing class-leading advice in five key areas of law and business affecting sports organisations
- having an 'inside' working knowledge of the sports industry, and notably the Premier League and Football League
- working closely with a wider network and professionals to help drive revenue and investment in sports clubs.
We provide the complete sports law service, but unlike more generalist law firms we have specialist expertise in the following areas that are critical to sports organisations:
- Corporate – including corporate finance, acquisitions, tax and corporate restructuring.
- Commercial Partnerships – including main sponsorship, brand partnerships, naming rights and outsourcing agreements
- Intellectual Property – including brand protection, merchandise deals, image rights and IPR litigation
- 'Rules and Regs' – including Premier League, Football League, Football Association and other sports hearings
- Real Estate – including sale and leaseback deals, private finance construction, equity release and planning and redevelopment.
We are incredibly focused, and our work in each of these areas is designed to either:
- drive revenue and/or investment for the sports organisation
- improve cost efficiencies for the sports organisation
- protect the sports organisation and its officers.
The WMSG team comprises expert lawyers who have worked in the sports law profession for many years, but whom have also spent time on the 'other side of the fence' within sports organisations – including, for example, as Commercial Director of a Premier League club. We understand the daily challenges and opportunities faced by sports clubs, and we work very hard to make sure that the work that we do provides a demonstrable net-benefit for the club.
WMSG acts for several high-profile Premier League and Championship clubs, handling a variety of matters – from corporate, to commercial, to transfers, to disciplinary hearings. Our strength is our 'inside knowledge' and recognition that the legal advice and assistance we provide must advance the club's chances of success on the field. Please visit our football specialism here.
Rugby Union and Rugby League
WMSG represents several of the country's Super League clubs and Rugby Union clubs, together with a host of leading players. We also act for the Professional Rugby Players Association, the Rugby Football League, Super League Europe and for members of the Professional Rugby Players Union in England.
WMSG has undertaken projects for a number of County Championship teams, as well as representing a number of leading players and acting for the northern members of the Professional Cricketers Association.
WMSG acts for a range of sports and athletes, including swimmers, show jumpers, boxers and triathletes including the British Triathlon Association.